The Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC) is an English language test designed specifically to measure the everyday English skills of people working in an international environment. The US-based Educational Testing Service (ETS) developed the TOEIC test to measure achievement in using English in a business setting.
PIA’s TOEIC Module is designed to target two points: it develops a test-taker’s listening and reading skills and it also focuses on learning the strategies on how to get a high score in the actual TOEIC test.
Number of classes
1on1 Class (4H) + Small Group (4H) + Morning & Evening Option Classes (3H)
Type of class
TOEIC Vocabulary, TOEIC Grammar drill, TOEIC Part 7, Odds and ends
Small group class
TOEIC Listening, TOEIC reading, public debate
I. Entry Requirements:
PIA has in place a proficiency test which the academy uses to identify which level a student would belong to. This is the Pines English Proficiency Test or PEPT. It measures and covers the four macro-skills of English, namely: SPEAKING, LISTENING, READING and WRITING. To be able to register in the TOEIC Module, the following requirements are necessary: 1. The student must be at least in Level 3 or higher.
2. The student must be qualified to study in the Advanced Course Department as per PEPT and/or interview for new students.
3. The student may present an official TOEIC score equivalent to 450 and above.
* Students who are not able to meet these requirements are advised to take Sparta Speaking Course for a minimum of four weeks to prepare them well before tackling the TOEIC subjects.
II. Study Requirements:
TOEIC students are expected to:
1. Attend their classes regularly and maintain a 90% - 100% attendance in all their classes
2. Participate in all class activities (class activities and homework)
– Both 1on1 classes and group classes
3. Take the weekly simulation tests (frequency of simulation tests increases from the first four weeks to the succeeding weeks) and the monthly Pines English Proficiency Test
TOEIC focuses on listening and reading competencies. Specifically, the objectives of the course are for the student to be able to:
1. Be fully familiar with the test process, test questions, and evaluation process;
2. Develop techniques in answering TOEIC questions correctly;
3. Obtain a TOEIC score of 800 or higher
PIA teachers are trained and equipped with competencies developed in their degree courses and the constant training and supervision of the department heads (Refresher Course Department, Bridging Course Department, Advanced Course Department) in coordination with the HR Department to have the following:
1. K – knowledge [PIA teachers undergo a training program before being employed not just to reinforce their current state of competency but to challenge teachers to go beyond what they already know – in order to educationally satisfy the learning expectations of students]
2. S – skill [PIA teachers constantly develop their skills via trainings and peer-sharing which further hone their teaching skills. To maintain the best crop of teachers in the academy, all teachers are subjected to a monthly rigorous evaluation which keeps them performing at their best – in order to educationally satisfy the learning expectations of students]
3. A – affective virtue [PIA teachers, aside from having the necessary knowledge and skill, are also fundamentally capable of ensuring that the student has a conducive learning environment by maintaining mutual respect regardless of the differences in culture. The efficiency of teachers in the classroom is matched by their ability to make their students enjoy learning English despite the challenges felt by students]
Recommended study duration:
TOEIC Module Subjects
・Self-Practice Method: The key to attaining a high score in any test is frequent PRACTICE. In the classes, teachers give students numerous opportunities to answer test questions that may be found in the actual test.
・Explaining: The teacher describes sets of facts which clarify the cause, context, and consequence of such facts.
・Lecturing – Demonstrating: The teacher states details and demonstrates how answers to problems are arrived at.
・Collaborating: The teacher allows the students to work with each other in class activities
・Oral Reporting: The teacher gives opportunities for students to expose themselves more in practicing the English language orally in front of an audience.
・Discussion: The teacher allows the students to express their opinion and ideas about TOEIC questions and answers.
・Audio-communicative approach: The teacher institutes listening learning processes with enhancement of communicative abilities.
・Critiquing: The learning process is never complete without a teachers’ feedback and critique, thus, it is a must for PIA teachers to integrate feedback mechanisms in all their classes.
・Pre-test and post-test
・Speaking, listening, writing, reading activities related to the test
・Problem solving activities
・Take home tests
・Checking and analysis of answers to tests
Text and additional resources or materials:
・TOEIC books made by PIA
・Jump Up TOEIC
Course outline and level development:
Level 3 or higher [PIA-based English Proficiency Level]
Official TOEIC Test Score: 450
・TOEIC test format, rules, instructions, do’s and don’t’s
・Tips and answers to frequently asked questions about the TOEIC test
・Strategies and Techniques in getting a high score in the TOEIC test
・Business terms frequently mentioned in the TOEIC test
・Listening to TOEIC files, drills, analysis of problems and strategy formation in answering the questions in Parts 1 to 4 of the TOEIC test
・Grammar drills, analysis and discussion of correct and wrong answers to Parts 5 and 6 questions of the TOEIC test
・Speedy identification and discussion of answers to the questions in Part 7 of the TOEIC test
・TOEIC Simulation tests and feedback sessions
・Rigid training on answering TOEIC questions
・Honing proficiency by more test practices
・More advanced and comprehensive approach in the TOEIC subjects as compared to the subjects during the first four/eight weeks
・TOEIC Simulation tests and feedback sessions
*Odds and Ends
A subject in all test modules which is included to cater to the students’ clamor to have a respite from the rigors of having to study purely about the TEST MODULE. Classes vary from ESL Listening, ESL Writing, ESL Speaking and other subjects that may interest the student.
The level of difficulty and complexity in the subjects increases as the student advances from the first four weeks to the succeeding weeks.
Morning Option Class
9:20- 10:10 am
TOEIC Grammar Drill
10:30- 11:20 am
12:30- 01:20 pm
01:20- 02:10 pm
TOEIC Part 7
02:20- 03:10 pm
Odds and Ends
03:20- 04:10 pm
04:20- 05:10 pm
05:20- 06:10 pm
06:15- 07:00 pm
07:00- 07:50 pm
Evening option class
08:00- 10:00 pm
Thông tin chi tiết về Pines Cooyesan: http://www.philenglish.vn/khu-vuc-va-truong/baguio-city/pines-cooyeesan/
Thông tin chi tiết về Pines Chapis: http://www.philenglish.vn/khu-vuc-va-truong/baguio-city/pines-chapis/