The study of English as a Second Language (ESL) has become more and more popular with the onset of globalization. Whether in business or in education, the importance of being able to converse fluently in English is indispensable.
As such, many nationalities whose native language is not English have become more and more encouraged to acquire, develop or enhance their English skills. Whether they opt to study English as a Second Language (ESL) in their native countries or abroad, for a richer experience, the same goal or result is being targeted; fluency in English as their second language.
English Drs Academy’s (EDA’s) various ESL courses are highlighted by having a high degree of customization to address the needs of ESL learners coming from different levels of skills and abilities. All the ESL courses offered by EDA target the following common but equally important skills in the English language: listening, reading, speaking, writing, grammar and pronunciation.
1:1 Classes (6H) + Group 1:4 Class (2H) + Optional class (1H)
1:1 Classes (4H) + Group 1:4 Class (2H) + Optional class (1H)
- Classes are 100 minutes
Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing, Grammar, Vocabulary, TOEIC, IELTS, business
Screen, CNN, Grammar, Business, Job preparation, TOEIC preparation, OPIC and TOEIC speaking class
Vocabulary and idioms, screening class, listening comprehension, pronunciation, situational conversation
Main Highlights of EDA’s ESL Courses:
1. 1:1 class
EDA understands and realizes that there are differences between each student who wants to enroll in ESL Courses. Our Philippine tutors show great efficiency and effectiveness in handling students from the beginner or elementary level and in developing their confidence and further enhancing their interest in studying English.
To help maximize the student’s learning potential through this ESL program, students are given some freedom to select the subjects that they want to study (as shown below) according to their needs. They are also allowed to change tutors and classes every week as they wish.
2. Group class- 1:4
The 1:4 Group classes provided to students with similar English abilities are a good venue for them to gather to study and discuss specific lessons and topics. The 1:4 Group classes offered by English Drs Academy are as follows: Business English, CNN Class, Discussion Class, Screening Class, OPIC & TOEIC Speaking Class, Job Preparation Class, Grammar Class, etc.
The main advantages of attending a 1:4 Group class is that rivalry and tension is maintained in the group which drives the student to try to perform well among their classmates. They can be motivated to study more since they are able to compare their skills with those of their classmates.
3. Optional class
Optional classes offered to students are free and students can attend them by choice. The Optional classes that may be available from time to time are Vocabulary & Idioms, Screening, Listening & Dictation, Pronunciation, Situational Class, etc.
Students can freely choose which class they want to attend every month. The maximum number of students in an optional class is 12 and they can select and study 1 subject that they are interested in from among the classes currently open. Optional classes last for 1 hour and are taught from Monday to Friday, 5:00 – 6:00 PM.
1. 18 years old and above
2. All students who are enrolled in any of the ESL Courses are expected to attend 90% of all their classes during their study period. Students are recommended to attend their classes every day from Monday to Friday.
3. Exams and Homework: All students who are enrolled in the ESL Courses are given homework every day, which focuses on any or all of the skills targeted. Practice exercises or exams are given throughout the week from Monday to Friday or as needed. Students are also encouraged to take the monthly TOEIC Mock Test which is held every last Friday of the month for Level Assessment.
4. Other Activities: All students who are enrolled in any of the ESL Courses are encouraged to attend 1-hour Optional Classes every day from Monday to Friday. Optional Classes commonly offered from time to time are Voca & Idioms Class, Listening & Dictation Class, Pronunciation Class, and Situational Class.
The English as a Second Language (ESL) Courses aims to provide a venue for the students to develop and enhance the students’ skills in the five target skill areas namely speaking, reading, listening, writing and grammar. The following are the basic course objectives for the ESL Courses:
- Develop the students’ listening skills by listening to audio files that will help enhance listening comprehension as well as familiarity with various accents, pronunciation and intonation.
- Develop the students’ skills in listening to dialogues as well as to develop their skills in responding to spoken questions and instructions as well as how they can carry conversations with other people as part of listening comprehension.
- Develop the students’ speaking skills by letting them express their ideas and opinions in guided conversations about various topics that they can relate to.
- Develop the students’ skills in arranging their ideas and imparting these during conversations or in class discussions.
- Develop the students’ skills in fluency as well as in enhancing and mastering the proper pronunciation of words and intonation.
- Develop the students’ skills in comprehension when reading written articles or stories and training them in identifying the main ideas as well as the supporting details and information.
- Develop the students’ skills in reading aloud in terms of pronunciation and intonation as well as in reading and comprehending written articles simultaneously.
- Develop the students’ skills in arranging their ideas and logically arranging them into sentences and paragraphs, depending on their goal in writing.
- Developing the students’ skills in writing and observing grammar rules as well as punctuation usage at the same time.
- Develop the students’ knowledge and skills in grammar in terms of applying the grammar rules in both speaking and writing.
- Develop the students’ skills in grammar and training them to identify their mistakes and correct their mistakes in observance of the grammar rules.
EDA’s teaching Philosophy:
The main goal of English Drs Academy and its teachers in fulfilling their duties and responsibilities is to impart their knowledge to their students in terms of techniques and strategies, as the students face various situations and events in their daily lives. The teachers provide a venue for the students to practice, develop and hone their skills in a conducive environment to attain the best possible results during their period of study. The teachers facilitate in bringing out the capabilities of the students and in helping realize the students’ full potential.
Recommended study duration:
4 weeks- 24 weeks
Instructional methods and duration of level development:
Below are the summarized descriptions of how students are instructed according to their initial level as determined by their entrance exam results and assessment. The time frame or duration is still dependent on each student’s desire to learn as well as their study habits and their speed in studying.
DURATION OF LEVEL DEVELOPMENT
- Word-picture association for vocabulary lessons
- Basic vocabulary lessons and exercises for reinforcement
- Basic speaking drills and exercises
- Learn basic and useful vocabulary
- Simple listening exercises
- Study common expressions and their applications
- Word-picture association for vocabulary reinforcement
- Reading exercises for learning proper pronunciation and intonation
- Simple speaking exercises to develop pronunciation, intonation and speed
- Learn basic vocabulary and their applications
- Write basic sentences to develop understanding of word order
- Simple reading exercises for comprehension
- Study basic grammar rules and their applications
- Conversation drills and exercises for practice in general discussion
- Writing ideas in basic sentences to express opinions
- Reading exercises for comprehension
- Study more basic grammar rules and their applications
- Learning and writing using other sentence patterns
- Speaking out opinions for more practice
- Vocabulary drill and exercises
- Identifying and understanding main ideas in paragraphs
- Study detailed grammar rules and their applications
- Reading comprehension exercises for understanding and developing pronunciation and enhance speed
- Guided discussions of specific topics
- Using similar expressions and vocabulary to express ideas
- Situational topics for discussion
- Using transition words to arrange ideas in speaking and in writing
- Study of categorized vocabulary for specific applications
- Writing exercises with target goals on specific topics
- Speaking exercises on specific topics focusing on the use of idioms and complex vocabulary
- Critical thinking exercises in speaking and writing
- Complex vocabulary and study of jargon with drills and exercises
- Listening to audio files and watching situational videos for accent familiarity, pronunciation reinforcement and comprehension
- Studying specific and detailed grammar rules and their applications
- Complex vocabulary/jargon in specific categories such as in business, education and the like
- Review of grammar errors and inconsistencies in writing and speaking
- Situational discussions on social events and happenings
- Listening to audio files and watching videos mainly focused on native English speakers and specific topics
- Writing about specific topics for themed presentation of ideas and for papers or theses
- Learning proper response, during conversations with native English speakers
Textbooks and Additional Resources/Materials:
Can You Believe It?
Basic Grammar in Use
Talk, Talk, Talk
Speaking, Listening & Expression
Make Your Point
Side by Side
Talk Your Head Off
Small Group Discussions
Listen for It
New Headway English Course
Sample Timetable (ESL-A):
Group 1:4 Class
Speaking and Discussion Class
Listening, Speaking, Reading & Vocabulary
Listening, Reading, Pronunciation & Vocabulary
Pronunciation Class / Situational Class / Voca & Idioms Class
Optional Group Class
Thông tin chi tiết về trường EDA: http://philenglish.vn/khu-vuc-va-truong/Davao/eda/